If you are in an automobile accident and your vehicle is damaged by another driver you will want to submit a claim to have the repairs covered by insurance. Unfortunately, many people fail to take the steps necessary to protect their property damage claim. In cases where your vehicle is damaged, taking immediate photos of the damaged vehicle is certainly appropriate. While the insurance company of the at-fault driver may later do this and the police report may contain details about the accident, one cannot always rely on the information provided by other parties. It is also important to gather contact information for any potential witnesses, as well as to take photos of any other vehicles and/or contributing factors to the accident (i.e. faulty traffic lights, hidden traffic signs, etc.). Here are some of the most common questions related to property damage as these conditions relate to an automobile accident:

Do I File a Property Damage Claim with My Own Insurance?

Ultimately, the car insurance company to whom you submit your claim will depend on who was at fault for the accident. If the other driver was clearly at fault and there are no questions about liability, you can submit a claim for the property damage to the at-fault driver’s insurer. However, if liability is unclear, it may be advisable to submit the claim to your own insurer. If the investigation of the accident then determines the other driver was indeed at fault, they can seek what is called subrogation for reimbursement of the damages they paid out to you. A skilled attorney can help to evaluate the steps one should take with regard to their property damage claim.

Will I Get a Rental Car?

If you automobile is damaged to such an extent that it will be necessary to send it for repairs, then you may need to obtain a rental car until the repairs can be made. Where an investigation of the accident is still ongoing, it may be advisable to first contact your own insurance company regarding rental coverage under your policy. A skilled attorney may be able to assist with this step of the process involving your claim. Call the Miller Law Firm, P.A. today at (864) 527-0413.