An injury resulting from an automobile accident can often result in considerable lost time from work and the inability to earn money that you would have been able to earn had you not been involved in the accident. Lost wages can stem not only from the time involved with the accident itself, but also from the time spent attending medical appointments, and in some cases, surgery needed as a result of the accident. Below are some of the common questions regarding lost wages related to automobile accidents:

How do I prove I sustained lost wages?

In many cases, a letter from your physician may be necessary in order to substantiate lost time from work resulting from attending medical appointments and/or undergoing treatment. A letter from your employer may also be necessary to substantiate that you missed time from work as a result of your injuries, in addition to a copy of the police report from the accident. You may recover lost wages for any time you needed to take during your recovery. A skilled attorney can help you to gather the documentation necessary to substantiate your claim for lost wages resulting from the accident.

What if I work for myself or am an independent contractor?

Calculating lost wages is straightforward if your position is salaried or hourly. However, if you are unsalaried, work for yourself, on commission or are an independent contractor, calculating your lost wages may become more difficult. In such cases, it may be necessary to provide your tax returns for the previous year as evidence of the wages that you would have earned if you had not be injured in a car accident. A skilled attorney can help you to gather the documentation necessary to substantiate a claim for lost wages in the event that you work for yourself or are an independent contractor. Call the Miller Law Firm, P.A. today at (864) 527-0413.